Story by Leslie Huffman. Photo by Hal Goodtree.
Cary, NC – I love strawberry season. Strawberries are the most delicious and versatile of fruits. And what fun it is to pick your own at one of the local strawberry farms! Here are a few wonderful recipes to make the most of Strawberry Season.
The only problem with strawberries is that they are extremely perishable. Once they are picked, they don’t last long. To keep them fresh longer, store them unwashed in the refrigerator. Wait and wash and cut them just before eating.
Strawberry and Spinach Salad
- 2 bunches of baby spinach leaves (torn in bite size pieces)
- 4 cups of sliced strawberries
- 2 oz of crumbles goat cheese
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- a raspberry vinaigrette dressing (Ken’s or Annie’s are the ones I prefer)
Toss all the ingredients together and serve.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 16 oz of milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and shortening, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Dip the strawberries into the chocolate mixture.
- Lay on wax paper and wait for the chocolate to cool.
Fresh Strawberry Jam
- 1 1/2 pints fresh strawberries stemmed and cut into chunks
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- Combine the sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over very low heat for 10 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the strawberries and continue to cook over very low heat for 20 minutes, until the strawberries release some of their juices and the mixture boils slowly.
- Pour carefully into 2 pint canning jars and refrigerate.
Very Easy Strawberry Shortcakes
- 1 pint strawberries sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup Bisquick mix (this recipe is on the back of the box)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- Whipped topping of choice
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Stir Bisquick, sugar and milk until soft dough forms.
- Drop 4 large spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10 – 12 minutes.
- Split warm shortcakes in half and top with fresh strawberries, and whipped topping