Story and photos by Brennin Cummings
Cary, NC – Chatham Square Shopping Center has the typical design of most strip malls – a lot of concrete with every store sporting the same uniform brown paneling and sign. But inside, each store shines brightly with a wealth of colors, customs and traditions from around the world..
Flavors and Goods from Around the World
The businesses in Chatham Square are from around the world- from India to Korea and from Pakistan to Mexico.
The second you walk into Kalashri, you’re hit with a rainbow of color. I wasn’t sure where to look first! The store was bursting with racks of traditional Indian clothing, saris in deep forest greens, magentas, and teal ocean blues. Kalashri also sells furnishings, art and artifacts, all of which are straight from India.
The Korean Garden Korean Steakhouse is a Korean restaurant that serves traditional Korean dumplings and kim chee as well as barbequed ribs and fried chicken.
Biryani House is an IndoPak kitchen and grill, which specializes in Biryani, an Indian dish made with seasoned rice and meat, fish, or vegetables. The restaurant also serves soups, salads, traditional clay oven/tandoori dishes, seafood, chicken, meat, and specialty vegetarian dishes.
The Triangle Indian Market is a great place to find ethnic groceries and spices, as well as movies from India in a variety of different languages. The store is small, but jam packed with all kinds of interesting foods and scents.
Store Directory – Chatham Square Shopping Center
In addition to the stores highlighted up above, here’s a list of the other tenants in Chatham Square.
- The Sea Depot- Seafood market
- Salon De Belleza Jessica- Beauty salon
- Smoke For Less- Smokeshop
- Treasure Isle Jewelers
- Suwan Alterations and Dry Cleaners
- DolEx Dollar Express Inc
- Toyo Shokuhin and Gifts
- Suchi Indian Cusine Hyderabadi Style- Indian Restaurant
- Chef of India- Indian Restaurant
- H&R Block
- People’s Beauty Supply
- Fresh Halal Meat International Grocery & Fish
- Korean Garden Korean Steakhouse- Korean Restaurant
- Don Francisco Supermercado- Hispanic grocery store
- Pancho Villa’s Mexican Grill- Mexican Restaurant
- Christie’s Restaurant- American diner food restaurant
- Aura Bullions- Coin and jewelry pawn shop
- Kala Kendra Center for the Arts- Payal Dance Academy
- Kalashri Ethnic Indian Art and Fashions
- Hair Graphix- Hair Salon
- California Nails- Nail Salon
- Biryani House
- Chandi’s Spa and Salon
- Indus Fashions- Indian and Pakistani Clothing
- Mithai- Indian desserts
- The Right Cut- Barber shop
- Billu Barber
- Aloha Mind Math
- CJ Tax Accounting- Financial consulting
- Kreative Concepts LLC- Engraving, personalized gifts and more
- NC Employment Security Commission
- Cary Beach Bingo
- Computer Clinic
- Palika Bazaar and Jewelers
- Cool Breeze- Indian fast food and ice cream
- Shamim Beauty Parlor
- Triangle Indian Market
- Hyderabadi Biryani Corner
The Chatham Square Shopping Center offers visitors a experience of different cultures through delicious food, beautiful clothes and interesting gifts. And it’s right here in Cary.
In addition to the stores and restaurants, Chatham Square is home to the Downtown Cary Farmers’ Market. It’s open on Tuesdays 3-6pm and Saturdays 8am – 12:30pm, April through November.
Chatham Square Shopping Center
744 East Chatham Street, Cary, NC