Story by Leslie Huffman. Photo by Michael B.
Cary, NC – I’m really just a big kid. I love Halloween. I love candy. I can carve a mean Jack-o-lantern. My front yard looks like a graveyard.
And I am one of the only “adults” in my neighborhood that still dresses up every year.
I’m sure there is help out there for me somewhere, but my kind of fall therapy is corn mazes and haunted houses. My children are now afflicted with the same issues passed down to them by a sugared-up parent. Now I would like to share with you some not-so-usual haunts to help you along with your Fall therapy.
For the Pumpkin Loving Scaredy-Cat and Maze Enthusiast
Corn Mazes and More – In and around Cary
- Green Acres Corn Maze – Cary – Huge corn maze, bounce house, hay rides, pony rides, pumpkins and a mechanical bull!
- Phillips Corn Maze – Cary – Hay rides, huge corn maze, pumpkin patch, corn cannon and pumpkin launcher, plus much more.
- Ganyard Hill Farm – Durham – Pick your own pumpkin patch, corn maze, barnyard, and farm store.
- Green Level Gourd Farm – Apex – 15 varieties of gourds and pumpkins, small corn maze, hayrides, and face painting. Great place for the small children.
- Ken’s Korny Corn Maze – Garner – 6 acre corm maze, hayrides, pumpkin patch, and farm store.
- Smith’s Nursery – Benson – Pumpkin picking, goat walks, hayrides, fishing, and farm stand.
- Hill Ridge Farms – Youngsville – Hayrides, pony rides, train rides, gem mining, live music, and yummy farm made products.
- Gross Farms – Sanford – Corn maze, pumpkin patch, hayrides and more.
- Maize Adventure – High Point – Huge corn maze, pumpkin patch, gem mining, and a fossil dig. **Plus see below for the Spookywoods info.
- Boo at the Zoo – Asheboro – October 29 & 30 there will be costume contests, face painting, and story telling.
Scary Haunted Fun
- Harvested Farm Nightmares – Garner – Ken’s Corn Maze changes at night to a haunted corn maze filled with goblins and ghosts.
- Clayton Fear Farm – Clayton – Seven haunted attractions including a haunted corn maze.
- Chapel Hill Haunted Cemetery Tour – Chapel Hill – The Preservation Society of Chapel Hill puts this together October 20 – 22.
- Spookywoods Haunted Scream Park – High Point – Laser light show, very scary haunted woods, haunted train ride, laser tag and more.
- Woods of Terror – Greensboro – 10 terrifying haunted venues including one with wild 3D effects.
- Mountain of Terror – Asheboro – From the wooded trails to the haunted house and all attraction in between, there is plenty of scares here.
Cary’s Own S-Cary Events
- A Reel-y Scary Cary – Koka Booth Amphitheatre, 6 scary movies on 5 different nights.
- Town of Cary’s Howlin Good Halloween – October 29th – Beginning at 5 p.m. start at the Herbert Young Community Center with Cary Teen Council’s Tricks & Treats Halloween Bash of fun games, prizes and more. Then, make your way down Academy Street to the Cary Arts Center for more entertainment, and – if you dare – the Applause! Cary Youth Theatre Fright School’s Haunted House.
- Haunted Twilight Tour of Downtown Cary – October 28th , Join the Cary Players for a macabre tour of historic downtown Cary. Your tour guides will share spooky legends and tales of yesteryear, guaranteed to send a chill up your spine. For tickets contact the Page-Walker Arts & History Center.