Recipe by Lindsey Chester. Photo by Tina.
Cary, NC – One of most popular stories from last Spring was this recipe for homemade guacamole. Just in time for Memorial Day, here it is again.
Recipe: Homemade Guacamole
If you like to have a little Guac with your chips, or in your tacos or a salad, or with fresh fish, here’s a super-simple recipe that will make you a star.
It just has a few ingredients and takes almost no time. Perfect for Memorial Day in Cary, NC.
- 2 ripe avocados – (I prefer the Haas type, they are the ones with the dark green/ black wrinkly skin. They should yield slightly to the touch when pressed if they are properly ripe. Soft, but not mushy.
- 1 lime
- 1 small onion
- salt pepper and garlic powder
- Slice the ripe avocados in half, removing and discarding the large pit in the center.
- Scoop the flesh out into a bowl. mash with a fork until no longer chunky.
- Add juice of 1 lime (or lemon in a pinch). This tastes great but also prevents avocado from turning brown.
- Add in salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste and dice up one half of a small onion. Combine.
- Optional: add in 1/2 cup chunky salsa. Blend with a fork.
- Tortilla Chips
- Condiment for Tacos or Fajitas
- Top a burger
Now get dipping!