Cary, NC — So, you want to give your really great gardener friend a gift?
It’s easy if you are a gardener yourself, because you think alike! If you don’t consider yourself as having much of a green thumb, though, no problem. Here are some great ideas for you and ones I think most any gardener would like.
Gifts for the Gardener
In this part of the country, we are so lucky to experience all four seasons which, in turn, offer lots of gardening gift options. When the weather becomes cold, there may not be as much to do outside, but you can get some great planning done for the coming growing season.
Books and seed catalogs are great sources for next year’s plans. You can also give plants from your own garden as gifts, and it’s also the perfect time to transplant trees, shrubs and many perennials – this is one of my most favorite gifts. It is so nice to look out in your yard and see a plant that reminds you of the person who gave it to you. Great memories!
Whether you give your friends plants or gardening accessories, the list below contains some great ideas that will surely make any gardener smile.
- Orchids and poinsettias
- Succulents and indoor plants to keep them company in the winter
- A subscription to garden magazines
- Yard art
- A gift card to have your gardening tools sharpened
- Good garden shears and tools
- Fire-less candles
- One-hour garden design consults from your local nursery
- Classes at JC Raulston Arboretum or any local nursery
- Locally-made food items from the NC State Farmers Market
- Local honey
- Garden gloves (email the Wake County Extension Gardener for great gloves)
- Bird houses and bird food (you can help the bluebird population in NC)
- Ornaments representing nature
- Books like the Carolinas Getting Started Garden Guide by Toby Bost
Mel’s Tip of the Month
Prune, prune and prune all shrubs that do not flower!
Flowering shrubs should only be pruned right after they flower. Include your roses about two feet from the ground, and cover the bed with mulch.
CaryCitizen is sponsored in-part by Garden Supply Company on Old Apex Road in Cary.