Editor’s Note: This story was first published on FoodCary.com.
Cary, NC — There are a lot of chocolate chip cookie-lovers out there, and many of them – like me – prefer their cookies to be soft and gooey. That’s why I use this recipe – which includes cake mix – as an alternative to your classic cookie.
Gooey Chocolate Chip Cake Bars
I used to make these all the time in college to share with friends.
You only need a few cheap ingredients and 30 minutes to make these bars, and the cake mix and oil make them softer than your average cookie.
1 box (15.25 oz.) of yellow cake mix
1 box (3.4 oz.) of instant vanilla pudding mix
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 9″x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil and eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool before cutting into bars.
Recipe by Jessica Patrick. Photo by Jessica Merz.