Story originally appeared on FoodCary.
Cary, NC – Here’s a recipe from one of our favorite Cary chefs for marinated shrimp on the grill. Quick and easy, thrill your guests with this restaurant-quality dish.
Step 1: Marinade
This recipe comes from Margie Hennessee of Maximillian’s and it’s for NC-style grilled shrimp.
First, take one pound of jumbo shrimp that are peeled, deveined, with tails left on – the bigger the better – and marinade them for at least 20 minute, if not longer, in the following:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeno very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic very finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon crushed red chili flake or less depending on your heat tolerance
- Zest and juice of one lime
- Kosher salt
- Coarse ground black pepper
Step 2: The Sauce
In a sauce pan add one tablespoon of butter and one finely chopped shallot and saute for 3-4 minutes, then add the following.
- Fresh juice from 1 large orange
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1 tablespoon cilantro fresh, chopped
Bring it to a boil, turn down heat and let reduce. Allow it to thicken into almost syrup consistency.
Step 3: Grill
Skewer the shrimp and grill for 3-5 minutes on direct heat. Toss in sauce and garnish with lime zest.
And that’s it!