Story & Photo by Hal Goodtree
Cary, NC – Thanks to our friend Don Frantz for sharing the news that Cary has been designated a Walk-Friendly Community.
Walk-Friendly Communities (WFC)
The WFC is a national organization that accredits communities which encourage pedestrian traffic. That is, walking.
Cary is one of only three communities in North Carolina that have earned the certification (the other two are Charlotte and Davidson).
Cary was credited with having a walk-friendly community including:
- Town of Cary staff resources devoted to encouraging pedestrian traffic
- 60 miles of trails and green ways, with another 190 miles in the planning stage
- Downtown Streetscape Project
- Land Development Ordinance that supports the creation of a highly connected transportation system
- $1 million annual sidewalk request program