Story by Leslie Huffman. Photo by Georges Le Chevallier of Thomas Sayre’s sculpture at the NC Museum of Art.
Cary, NC – A one-of-a-kind benefit for The Lucy Daniels Center is taking place at The Umstead Hotel and Spa on Friday, September 23, at 6:30 p.m. Expressions. A Celebration of Food and Art., brings together fine cuisine and fine art.
The Umstead’s executive chef Scott Crawford has brought in renowned chefs Steven D. Greene of Herons, The Umstead’s signature restaurant; Colin Bedford of the The Fearrington House Restaurant in Pittsboro, NC; Matthew Medure of Matthew’s San Marco and Restaurant Medure in Jacksonville, FL; and Daniel Benjamin of The Umstead Hotel and Spa and Herons to collaborate and create an exclusive multi-course meal for this event.
Their concepts for the evening’s reception and meal are based on two of Thomas Sayre’s artistic themes, “Control vs. Natural Flow and Energy” and “Earth Pushing Back.” The menu will include:
- Wine Concept – “Organic, Biodynamic”, more influence by earth than human interaction
- Reception – “Orbs”, created by Thomas and the chefs, an example of us mimicking the “form” of Sayre’s art.
- Course One – White Asparagus Dish, demonstrating the beauty of “Randomness” much like that created with Thomas’ Birch pieces.
- Course Two – “Refined Smoke”, A smoky, velvety soup inspired by Thomas’ smoke piece.
- Course Three – “Earth”, the influence of earth on our main course and the wine paired with it.
- Dessert – “Serendipity”, an example of the medium pushing back, like in much of what Sayre does.
Thomas Sayre, renowned sculptor and a founding principal of Clearscapes, multi-disciplinary design firm, has created public art projects all over the world. His love for and respect of natural materials—and his emphasis on collaboration—provide the inspiration for the elegant reception and multi-course meal guests will enjoy at The Umstead.
Throughout the evening, Scott and Thomas will be on hand to comment about their collaboration and inspiration for their creations.
All of this collaboration of art and cuisine is for one cause. To help Triangle children get evaluation, treatment, and education through the many opportunities at The Lucy Daniels Center.
The Lucy Daniels Center for Early Childhood is a nonprofit organization and school devoted to promoting the healthy emotional development of young children. They are the largest and most comprehensive agency providing children’s mental health services in the North Carolina Triangle region.
More than $175 of each ticket will go to the Center’s Family Support Fund which helps fund the gap between what families can afford to pay for services and their actual cost.
When: Friday, September 23, at 6:30 p.m.
Where: The Umstead Hotel
Tickets: $250 per person ($100 is tax deductible) or $2,500 per table of 8 ($1,300 is tax deductible) Click HERE for more information.