Cary Superskippers – Number 1 Again
The Cary YMCA Superskippers competed in two national tournaments and one world jump rope tournament this season, winning first place team in the country for the second year in a row.
In Long Beach , California this past June, they defeated over 50 teams to become the 2013 USA National Jump Rope champions. To follow up that win, the Superskippers took part in the World Jump Rope tournament in Orlando, FLA and featured more than 25 teams from around the world, including Japan, Denmark, Germany, France, Brazil, Tanzania, and South Africa. Later in July the Skipper took gold at the Amateur Athletic Union Junior Olympic Games were held in Detroit, and drew more than 20 teams from across the country.
Cary Superskipper Matthew Russell received the 2013 Joel Ferrell Award at the AAU event, an award that recognizes outstanding athletic accomplishments and sportsmanship.
“The team had another great year and has really showed consistent improvement in all age groups,” said team coach Gary Anderson, who will be assuming a new position as jump rope director for the YMCA of the Triangle. “We hope to spread the sport on a club level to more YMCA branches in the area,” Anderson said.
And The Winners Are:
USA National Jump Rope tournament: Top Scorers in all age groups:
- Graham Booth, Second Place; Male Single Rope Freestyle
- Rebecca Purser, Catherine Shaw; Second Place, Female Pairs Freestyle
- Hannah Butler, Ellen Emmerson, Rebecca Purser; Second Place, Female Double Dutch Freestyle
- Nicole Enright, Morgan Adams, Graham Booth, Matthew Russell; Third Place, Double Dutch Freestyle
- Alexandra Davis-Isaac, Catherine Shaw, Hannah Butler, Ellen Emmerson; Second Place, Female Double Dutch Freestyle
World Jump Rope tournament:
- Graham Booth; Second Place, Male Single Rope Speed
- Kristin Andrejko, John McGarrahan; Second Place, Pairs Double Unders
- Graham Booth, Alivia Canter, Sarah Chen, John Mangum; Third Place, Single Rope Speed Relay; Second Place, Double Dutch Freestyle
- Sienna Standfield; Second Place, Female Triple Unders
AAU Junior Olympics in Detroit
The Cary Superskippers won an incredible haul of medals including: 31 gold medals, 20 silver medals and 27 bronze medals. Click Here to view a detailed list of winners.
In addition to winning the title of No. 1 Team in the country at the USA competition, many team members also donated to the Locks of Love charity event held at the tournament.
National Records Set
The following list includes Superskippers who set national records for various feats of jumprope prowess.
- Graham Booth, 15-17 Male 30-Second Speed; 15-17 Male Single Rope Speed
- Renee Ellis, 10 and under Female 30-Second Speed
- Camille Ellis, 11-12 Female 30-Second Speed, One-Minute Speed
- Lauren Ellis, Kendall Brockman, Ethan Steadman, Renee Ellis; 10-Under Single Rope Speed Relay
- Allison Pumer, Ethan Steadman, Kendall Brockman, Renee Ellis; 10-Under Double Dutch Pairs Speed
- Ethan Steadman, Male 30-Second Speed 10-Under
- Lauren Ellis, Kendall Brockman, Ethan Steadman, Renee Ellis; 10-Under Single Rope Speed Relay,
- Nicole Enright, Morgan Adams, Matthew Russell, and Graham Booth; Double Dutch Speed
Try Outs This Weekend!
Think you have what it takes to be a member of this incredible team? They hold try-outs for open positions once a year. Come by this Sunday and show Coach Gary what you’re made of and maybe you or your child can be number one too!
Try-out at the Cary YMCA, 101 YMCA Drive from 4-6 pm, Sunday August 25, 2013.
Check out their latest video from Video of Superskipper competition.
- Cirque du Soleil Star Meets Cary Super Skippers (June 2013)
- Cary Super Skippers Become US National Champs (July 2012)
- Super Skipping to China (September 2011)
Story written by Carol McGarrahan for CaryCitizen.