Go Local: Community-Minded Businesses

Story by Leslie Huffman. Photo by Hal Goodtree.

Cary, NC -When I went looking for Sponsors to help with the Cary Scavenger Hunt, I did not have to go far. When there is an event in Cary, there are certain businesses that often step up to offer services or sponsorship. In this installment of Go Local, we recognize some of the most community-minded businesses in Cary. Read more

Events: Ritmo Latino is Good Time for All

Story by Lindsey Chester. Photos by Hal Goodtree. 

Cary, NC- The Ritmo Latino Festival in Cary, presented by Diamante, showcases the food, music, dancing and fun of Latino culture. Its free to everyone next Sunday, August 7th in Bond Park. Read more

Health: The Joy of Cast-Iron

Story by Kaynan Goldberg. Kaynan is CaryCitizen’s 12-year-old columnist on all things frugal, crunchy, healthy and green. She also blogs at VeggiesGoCrunch. Photo by Kirk Olson.

Cary, NC – You know how I promised you a cast-iron post?  Well, I consulted with a friend who used to be in the culinary gadgets business (she worked in that high-end cookware store in the mall – you know the one), and she came up with a whole list of reasons why cast-iron is amazing. Read more

Wanted: Kids for Video Downtown on Saturday

Cary, NC – The Downtown Cary Children’s Museum (DCCM) needs your help this weekend in the making of a Pepsi Refresh video. Read more

Sports: USA Swimming Southern Zone Championships at TAC

Story by Hal Goodtree. File photo by Karl Fisher.

Cary, NC – It’s one of the biggest swim meets of the year. Over 600 swimmers from West Virginia to West Texas have converged on Triangle Aquatic Center in Cary for the Southern Zones Championship meet. Read more

Food: Cupcake Bar (Buy a Round)

Story by Hal Goodtree. Photos from acupcakebar.com. Above, Grasshopper cupcakes.

Cary, NC – Mojito flavored cupcakes? Only from the Cupcake Bar in Cary. Read more

Weekend Events: A Potpourri of Summer Happenings

The CaryCitizen Calendar of Events is edited by Lindsey Chester.

Cary, NC – The summer sky is still bright in the evenings for a potpourri for late July events this weekend on the CaryCitizen Calendar. Read more

Backyard Birding in Cary with Roger Tory Peterson

Story by Lindsey Chester. Photos by Hal Goodtree.

Cary, NC – I moved to Cary thirteen years ago from a fairly urban area, 15 miles outside of Manhattan. We didn’t see many birds there beside the common robin, sparrow or occasional bluejay. I did a double take when I saw my first bright yellow gold finch in Cary. I simply had to know what this tropical looking bird was!

That’s when I fell in love with Roger Tory Peterson’s Field Guide to Eastern Birds. Read more

Money Matters: Managing College Debt

Story by Peter “Coach Pete” D’Arruda, RFC, President of Capital Financial Advisory Group and the host of Coach Pete’s Financial Safari on WPTF,  WEEB and  WFNC. 

The average college student today is almost certain to leave their university with student loan debt – in fact, they are more likely to leave with debt than they are to leave with a diploma.

Read more

StopCaryIceNow Moves Forward

Story by Lindsey Chester. Photo by Hal Goodtree.

StopCaryIceNow, a community group that opposed plans for an Immigration & Enforcement Center at the Kroger on NC 55 and High House, is reinventing itself to help be an agent of change in the neighborhood.

Read more